While most caregivers use car seats to keep their children safe, recent studies found that more than 75% of car seats are not installed correctly. Helping families access appropriate car seats and install them correctly is important for protecting children.
Finding the right car seat
- Use the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s car seat finder to determine which options are best.
- Ensure you’re getting the right type of car seat based on your child’s age, height, and weight.
Installing and using the car seat
- Register your car seat so you can receive recall notices.
- Follow instructions from the car seat manufacturer and in your vehicle owner’s manual when installing the car seat. You can also refer to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s instructions for further guidance if needed.
- Keep children in the back seat until they’re at least 12 years old.
- Free installation assistance is available. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be connected to a certified car seat technician in your area.
- Keep in mind that as your children grow, car seat recommendations change. Before changing the position of a car seat, revisit these resources to find the most recent guidelines.
SafeSeat for Baby Program
SafeSeat for Baby provides car seats at no cost to Montana families in need. Families who receive car seats also undergo training on how to install and use the seat.
For a family to be eligible, the local public health department or an early childhood specialist must refer them to the program.
Use our Essentials Map to find SafeSleep and SafeSeat locations near you.
Instructions for referring families
Referrals must come from a public health department or other family support organization.
- Complete the SafeSeat for Baby order and release form and submit it via email to email@example.com or by mail to:
Healthy Mothers, Health Babies—The Montana Coalition
318-20 N. Last Chance Gulch, Suite 2C
Helena, MT 59601
- Set up an appointment for a certified car seat technician to install the car seat and provide training. (The family cannot receive the car seat before this appointment.) If no technicians are in your area, contact us, and we’ll work with you to find a solution.
- Have the family complete a photo release form and send us a photo of them so we can share their success story. Please make sure the file is in JPG/JPEG format with good resolution (around 72 DPI, with the file size between 50 and 200 KB).