What you can do
Try these common soothing techniques:
- Carry your baby around while talking or singing to them.
- Make eye contact and smile.
- Turn on white noise, like a fan or vacuum cleaner, or hum softly against your baby’s head.
- Give them a bath, making sure not to leave them unattended.
- Take your baby for a ride in the car.
- Feed them. If you aren’t breastfeeding, try paced bottle feeding.
- Burp your baby to help clear any air built up in their stomach, which can hurt.
- Gently pat, stroke, or massage your baby.
- Kiss your baby.
If you become frustrated, put the baby in a safe place and walk away until you feel calm. Reach out to a trusted friend or family member for support.
If you’re worried about your baby’s health, call your health care provider.
For more information on how to soothe baby, visit our video page.