Before choosing someone to care for your baby, get to know the care provider well. For people you don’t already know, ask lots of questions, like:
- How much experience do you have?
- Do you have experience with my baby’s age group?
- How would you deal with a crying baby?
- How do you handle stress?
You should also be sure that your childcare provider:
- Communicates with you openly, asks questions, and offers frequent updates
- Welcomes you to drop in at any time to check on your baby
- Takes steps to keep the space safe, such as putting away sharp objects
- Asks about and follows your wishes regarding food, activities, and so on
The provider will also have expectations of you, such as picking your child up on time and communicating openly. For more assistance in locating high quality child care in your area please contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral office.